Tabernacle Baptist Church of Moline was organized in 1906. In 1913, charter members of the church purchased property property and a small church on 8th Street and 16th Avenue in Moline, IL. Church records indicate that a short time later, the land was sold to Mary Deere and Katherine Butterworth. The church members then purchased a lot on 15th Street and 26th Avenue and the existing church building was moved to that location. In 1967 the original church was demolished. In the Spring, the church body marched across the street to Garfield Elementary School, where church services were conducted until the new church was completed in October 1967.
Under the leadership of the late R.A. Allen,the church paid off the mortgage in 1976. Paying off a $65,000 mortgage in only 9 years was a testimony to the commitment of the congregation and the power of God.
The Reverend Dr. Melvin L. Grimes was called to Tabernacle in November of 1989 and serves as pastor today. Under the leadership of Dr. Grimes, the church has made the following accomplishments:
- Purchased additional property for future expansion
- Installed partitions in the lower level creating three new classrooms
- The implementation of a structured Christian Education Curriculum that includes aged graded courses, tests and promotions.
- Reorganized the church according to the use of Spiritual Gifts.
- Dedicated Christian Education Annex. Beginner and Adult Classes relocated to downstairs classrooms. Primary, Junior and Teen Classes relocated to Christian Education Annex.
- Completed the rasing of funds to construct a well in Baktu Africa.
- In partnership with Gorman and Associates and the Moline Housing Authority for Senior Housing at the former Garfield Elementary School.
Dr. Grimes is assisted by the Reverend Arthur Young, Reverend Linda Hester Young, Christian Education Director,Minister and
Minister Matthew Jenkins
The Mission Of Tabernacle Baptist Church is: To bring people to Jesus and membership in His family, develop them to Christ-like maturity, and equip them for their ministry in the church and life mission in order to magnify God's name.
Magnify - We celebrate God's purpose in worship.
Mission - We communicate God's Word through evangelism.
Membership - We incorporate God's family into our fellowship
Maturity - We educate God's people through discipleship.
Ministry - We serve God's people through the exercise of our Spiritual Gifts as assigned by the Holy Spirit.
Join us each Sunday morning at 8 am for reflections and each Sunday Evening from 4-7 am for Gospel Music on KALA 88.5 FM